ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Exploding Heart
















It's been six weeks since Allyson Marie was placed in my arms. What I remember from that day is an overwhelming, complex sense of peace that filled my soul. The night before I had been SO SCARED and nervous and truly doubtful. But, when the moment came, there was nothing but great feelings surrounding me. When I look at pictures from that day, July 11, it's almost as if I don't recognize myself. I look so happy and content with life. The 4 and 1/2 year long wait for our daughter took a huge toll on me, but that day changed all those feelings into true love and happiness.

Over the past 4 and 1/2 years I did a massive amount of research about attachment. I wondered if Ally would attach to Ryan and me as her parents, but I also wondered if I would attach to her. What if I didn't attach to Ally like a mother would to her daughter? It happens, this scenario, the scenario of two overly excited adults who have waited for such a long time for their child only to suffer through many painful months where it seems as if they're just a babysitter to this stranger of a child. I said a lot of prayers begging and pleading with God to please let me love my daughter upon first sight.

I felt a lot of things when I met Ally. I felt an overwhelming love for this child who was scared and confused. I felt obligated to provide a great life for her. I felt a great deal of gratitude to finally have a child. I felt a great sense of worry for health and well-being. Yes, I attached to her and she to me, perfectly, it seemed.

But, something happened this week...my heart exploded for my child. All of a sudden when I wasn't with her, my heart ached. When she was asleep I anxiously awaited a cry from her signaling she needed me to soothe her. When she smiled at me, tears came to my eyes. These weren't sad tears, but pure happy tears. I was suddenly so proud of this child who seems like the bravest person I've ever met.

So, I understand now, when someone says motherhood changes you. Of course, motherhood changes your life's schedule and routines, this goes without saying. But, now I know how it is to love something more than you even knew was possible. I love Ally so much it hurts.

My prayers it seems were answered. Thank you, God.










6 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie,
    What a beautiful post! Ally looks like she is doing so well!

    I have been watching your blog with interest since I found you on the Rumor Queen as my agency partners with West Sands also. We are LID May 31 2006 so I am hoping our referral is not too far off.

    I must say I am not too thrilled with the prospect of waiting 3 extra days for our referral. How incredible that you got to visit the orphanage! May I ask, did you choose not to visit the Great Wall, Forbidden City, etc.?

    BTW, I am a teacher also. Blessings to you and your family and I hope you have time to post more about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurie,

    We chose not to take the Beijing excursion becuase we wanted to save the money(there were 5 of us traveling my parents and sister tagged along) and my husband only got 15 work days off. So, we decided for him to only use so many days in China so he could have a few days to get over jet lag once we returned home. We don't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cried when I read this and saw the pictures. You all look so happy, especially you and Ally! What a beautiful, happy little girl! I am SO over the moon for you. You have your baby, your forever family!!!!!!! I may have missed this, but how old is Ally now?
    Annie (Fresh Jersey Tomato)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melanie
    I have read your blog with interest - it was pointed out to me by another mother who adopted from Yugan at the same time as me a year ago next week!! My little one is Mei Ji now aged 18 months. I think that her nanny was the same as your daughter's. While we got to visit the outside of the orphanage we were not allowed in as Swine flu was an issue at that time. We therefore didn't get to say goodbye to the Nanny. Something I regret for both her and my daughter who was at 6 months absolutely thriving and well cared for. You might be interested to see our blog - I have added a new post for you to see her now.
    http://chinabelles.blogspot.com/
    My email is keatmain@bigpond.com
    I can send you a photo of Mei Ji with her nanny to see if you agree that she is the same one. I would also like to know if you got her name as I have muddled two peices of paper - one with her name on and would like to know which one it is.
    best regards - And I so know how you feel about the bursting heart!
    Belinda, Mei Mei and Mei Ji
    Sydney Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Melanie,

    I got on your blog last night as suggested by Dr. Chambers at UAB. Yesterday we just accepted a referral for an 11 month old that is living in the same orphanage that Ally lived in! My husband and I felt very encouraged reading your blog. If you wouldn't mind, we would love to visit with you and your husband via phone. We want to hear about your travel experience since we will be making that same trek in 4-6 months for our little Avery Li Fen. Your Ally is beautiful! My email is ashley@abryanphoto.com if you want to email me. Thanks!
    Ashley Johnson

    ReplyDelete