ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My Babies

Four years ago I taught all Spanish One classes. This was intended to be an 'easy' teaching schedule because I was planning on being on Maternity Leave during the Spring semester. I remember explaining to my students, then Freshmen, that if they didn't like me they were in luck because I would be gone during the Spring adn they would have a substitute.


As the wait increased and increased, my students grew up. Now, they are Seniors. I only have 3 more days with them. They have been with me during this whole adoption process. They've asked SO MANY TIMES, "Mrs. Fenton, when are you going to get your baby?' They've been concerned for this child every step of the way.


Two weeks ago I got to introduce these students to the picture of my Ally. They are excited for me and still ask, "Mrs. Fenton, when are you going to get your baby?"


As a teacher, I'm lucky enough to have students like my Seniors who have compassion, great senses of humor, maturity, and sympathy for certain depressing situations. Don't let any teacher try to fool you. No teacher stays in this profession because of the summers off. We stay in this profession because we enjoy our students. Students make us want to come to school. Without great kids, no teacher would enjoy their job.


So, for a certain group of kids, they've been students of mine each day of their high school year. I don't know what I'm going to do when they graduate. I will miss them horribly.

No comments:

Post a Comment